Job seekers go through so much stress preparing for interviews with expectations of possible questions to be asked. It, however, becomes challenging when an interviewer turns the table on a candidate with this inevitable sentence: “do you have any questions for me?”
Image: Words of advice from HR professional, Amy Hoover.
The difficult problem becomes whether you should say “no, I don’t have any questions” or hastily ask some silly questions. There’s a better option outside the two – preparation.
Some websites talk about questions that a candidate may ask during interviews without pointing out which ones are off limits. According to Amy Hoover (President of the Job Board at Talent Zoo) in a chat with Business Insider: “In the first interview, you’ll want to be sure to ask the right questions. Ask about the job and company; not questions that can come off as self-serving and give the impression you may not be a team player or be willing to give 100%”
“The sole purpose of the interview is to determine if you are a good fit for the company, and if it’s a good fit for you. All the other issues and concerns should be addressed during negotiations after the job offer has been made.”
Below are 20 questions your candidate should avoid during the first job interview, compiled by Business Insider, as they may do more harm than good.
- What does your company do?
- What will my salary be?
- Will I have to work long hours?
- How soon can I take a vacation?
- Will I have an expense account?
- How quickly could I be considered for a promotion?
- What happens if I don’t get along with my boss or co-workers?
- What are benefits like?
- When will I be eligible for a raise?
- Can I arrive early or leave late as long as I get my work done?
- Are you married?/Do you have kids?/etc.
- Do you check social media accounts?
- Do you do background checks?
- Do you monitor emails or internet usage?
- Will I have my own office?
- I heard this rumor about the CEO – is it true?
- What are grounds for termination?
- Can I make personal calls during the day?
- How did I do?
- Did I get the job?