A COMPANY CONSULTANCY REPORT
Following the abrupt cancellation of flights in 2017 and previous problems documented since 2012, Ryanair faced huge criticisms from customers who complained of the company’s incompetence and called for a review of its operational capacities. Grievances from disgruntled fliers, which was rife in the media, attracted attention from the International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITWF) and led to the creation of a website (www.ryan-be-fair.org) where workers can freely discuss work-related matters (Callot., 2003). Traffic to the website rose above 500,000 in four months, with more than 55,000 people commenting on topics relating to value creation, responsive management, quality delivery, and professionalism among workers.
Notwithstanding the huge outcry, Ryanair is yet to adopt innovative strategies. Use of the Internet as an only channel to address such problems show the inefficacy of trade union in Europe considering that some biased comments against the company negatively affected its public image (Pogatchnik., 2013).
Although the Financial Times raised suspicion that ITWF could have some underlying motives behind creation of the website, particularly against Ryanair, the company CEO and Eddie Wilson (Director of Personnel) described the media allegations as “fiction,” “irrelevant,” and “an empty vessel that makes loud noise” although O’Leary admitted in 2013 that the company has battled image problems (Amble., 2005;). This research therefore prepared for Ryanair management to help address issues militating against the company’s business performance.
1.1 Terms of Reference
The following terms of reference have been adopted by Ryanair management:
• To review roles assigned to employees of the company and assess performance.
• To conduct a comprehensive situational analysis of claims, suggestions and grievances held by stakeholders.
• To evaluate the company’s business environment in line with its values, strategies and objectives.
• To evaluate the existing management strategies for an insight into processes are irrelevant and which activities are unproductive.
• To formulate easy-to-adapt change and innovation strategies using effective methodologies that guarantee productivity and business growth.
• To clarify the possible benefits and consequences of neglecting the proposals.