Advertisements

Philippines To Send Peace Envoy To China, On South China Sea Disputes.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Thursday said he was asking former President Fidel Ramos to help start talks with China over disputes in the South China Sea.

Former Philippine president Fidel Ramos.

The president, during a testimonial dinner hosted by the San Beda College, reiterated that war was not an option and he wanted to pursue peaceful solutions to the maritime disputes with China like bilateral talks.

He said he would still consult Ramos about it and eventually asked him to “go to China to start the talks.”

The announcement came after an arbitral tribunal in The Hague issued an award Tuesday on an arbitration case unilaterally initiated by the Philippines against China regarding their disputes in the South China Sea.

Dismissing the ruling “null and void with no binding force,” the Chinese Foreign Ministry said it will not accept any proposition or action based on the award.

A Foreign Ministry spokesman said China will continue to endeavor to peacefully resolve disputes in the South China Sea with parties directly concerned through negotiation and consultation on the basis of respecting historical facts and in accordance with international law.

Ramos, who was the Philippine president from 1992 to 1998, acknowledged Duterte’s decision, but did not say if he would accept the president’s request.

Duterte earned his law degree from San Beda while Ramos is an honorary alumus of the San Beda College of Law.

Earlier in the day, Duterte was reportedly ready to start direct talks with China on the South China Sea disputes.

“(Duterte said) we’ll start the bilateral talks,” Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno told reporters, saying the president made the remarks during a cabinet meeting shortly after the ad hoc tribunal’s award on Tuesday.

He added that the president had said the country should avoid “taunting and flaunting” the decision if it favors the Philippines.

Following the notification from Philippines, China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang has welcomed the gesture.

“China welcomes president Duterte’s willingness to send an envoy for the talks. China adheres to its policies to resolve the issues through bilateral talks and has never shut the door for dialogue with the Philippines.

“As along as China and the Philippines work to solve disputes through dialogue, we can lay a solid foundation for future relations.”

Duterte reiterated that war was not an option and he wanted to pursue peaceful solutions to the maritime disputes with China.

Advertisements
About meziesblog.com (4272 Articles)
I'm a China-based teacher, blogger and freelance writer readily available for hire.

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. The ICJ And UN Confirm They’re Not Part of The Judgement On South China Sea. – Meziesblog

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: