Advertisements

Goldfish Surgery: Woman Paid $500 To Save Her $12 Pet.

An Australian woman had to spend a few hundreds of dollars to save the life of her 1-year-old pet goldfish. The little angel was said to have swallowed a pebble and was at the point of death before the owner took called in emergency rescue.

Emma Marsh, 21 of Kuraby, spent $500 on vet bills to save her goldfish Conquer. Picture: Liam Kidston.

Image shows 21-year-old Emma Marsh and her pet goldfish.

Brisbane Bird and Exotics Veterinary Services shared photos of the goldfish and detailed the $500 surgical procedure that involved applying an anesthetic agent to the water so the little guy could fall asleep. They literally drugged the him before using forceps to dislodge the stubborn pebble.

Brisbane Bird and Exotics Veterinary Services
Recently our patients have been keeping us particularly busy! Just last week we had a client with a fishy problem! Conquer the Ranchu Goldfish had accidentally eaten a pebble from his tank and got it stuck in his tiny mouth! Our vets had to give him some help in removing it. Further info in each picture below!
'A physical exam revealed that Conquer had a black pebble stuck in the back of his throat – he was unable to dislodge it himself and he needed some help! Here is little Conquer in a small volume of water that was brought in by his owner. We usually recommend people bring a separate sample also to allow us to do water testing.''In order to remove the stone we needed to anaesthetize Conquer. We did this by dripping an anaesthetic agent into the water until Conquer was asleep enough to allow us a good look in his mouth. You can see the black colour in the back of his mouth is a pebble which is lodged quite firmly!''With great care we inserted some instruments into Conquer’s tiny mouth to remove the offending pebble...''We were able to grasp the pebble and slowly start to remove it.'
“I treat fish like they’re any other pet,” owner Emma Marsh, 21, told The Courier Mail.
Marsh said she noticed ‘Conquer’ the goldfish choking after swallowing the nearly half-inch-long pebble while digging for food with its mouth.

Veterinarian Emma McMillan said in the report: “He is 13g and only 5cm long.

“The pebble was about 8 or 9mm long and was stuck lengthways across the side of his mouth, which is why he couldn’t spit it back out.

“He was making excessive mouth movements trying to dislodge it … if we did nothing he would have starved to death,” she said.

The goldfish named Conquer, stayed back in the hospital’s fish tank to recover for a day before he was sent home to her owner.

Advertisements
About meziesblog.com (4266 Articles)
I'm a China-based teacher, blogger and freelance writer readily available for hire.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: