An Australian woman had to spend a few hundreds of dollars to save the life of her 1-year-old pet goldfish. The little angel was said to have swallowed a pebble and was at the point of death before the owner took called in emergency rescue.
Image shows 21-year-old Emma Marsh and her pet goldfish.
Brisbane Bird and Exotics Veterinary Services shared photos of the goldfish and detailed the $500 surgical procedure that involved applying an anesthetic agent to the water so the little guy could fall asleep. They literally drugged the him before using forceps to dislodge the stubborn pebble.
Brisbane Bird and Exotics Veterinary ServicesRecently our patients have been keeping us particularly busy! Just last week we had a client with a fishy problem! Conquer the Ranchu Goldfish had accidentally eaten a pebble from his tank and got it stuck in his tiny mouth! Our vets had to give him some help in removing it. Further info in each picture below!
Veterinarian Emma McMillan said in the report: “He is 13g and only 5cm long.
“The pebble was about 8 or 9mm long and was stuck lengthways across the side of his mouth, which is why he couldn’t spit it back out.
“He was making excessive mouth movements trying to dislodge it … if we did nothing he would have starved to death,” she said.
The goldfish named Conquer, stayed back in the hospital’s fish tank to recover for a day before he was sent home to her owner.