Kanye West has said more memorable things in the last decade than any other pop star alive. Yes, occasionally the things he says are infuriating, reductive and stupid. But, for the most part, Kanye is an endless reservoir of strange knowledge.
1. “Bought more jewelry, more Louis V., my momma couldn’t get through to me”
Song: “Can’t Tell Me Nothing”
Lesson: Listen to your mom or you’ll regret it. You always need to stay grounded and take advice from your mother, because if you don’t, you might find yourself spending a stupid amount of money on jewelry.
2. “AND I’LL JUST BLAME EVERYTHING ON YOU, AT LEAST YOU KNOW THAT’S WHAT I’M GOOD AT”
Lesson: Kanye knows he’s been a bad boyfriend who refuses to come to terms with his own shortcomings.
However, the first step to changing is being honest with yourself. Then you can take accountability for your actions.
3. “Let’s go on a living free, they say the best things in life are free”
Song: “Good Life”
Lesson: Even though Kanye is one of the most commercially successful artists in history, he’s still doing his best to enjoy the simple things.
4. “I know I act a fool but I promise you I’m going back to school”
Song: “Hey Mama”
Lesson: A college degree can go a long way kids, it doesn’t matter who you are.
5. “HEY, DO YOU REMEMBER WHERE WE FIRST MET? OKAY, I DON’T REMEMBER WHERE WE FIRST MET, BUT HEY, ADMITTIN’ IS THE FIRST STEP.”
Song: “Bound 2”
Lesson: Complete transparency between you and your partner is the fastest way to happiness.
6. “YOU GOT A NEW FRIEND, WELL I GOT HOMIES, BUT IN THE END IT’S STILL SO LONELY”
Lesson: Kanye is doing the right thing by hanging out with his homies, but he knows full well that heartbreak is a difficult beast to tackle, no matter what.
7. “Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud”
Lesson: Don’t be afraid to follow your dreams, even if they seem a bit dangerous.
8. “WE AT WAR, WE AT WAR WITH TERRORISM, RACISM, BUT MOST OF ALL, WE AT WAR WITH OURSELVES”
Song: “Jesus Walks”
Lesson: The key to finding peace is to be happy and comfortable with yourself as a human being. Once you’ve accomplished that, there’s only so much other people can do.
9. “EVERY TIME I’M IN VEGAS THEY SCREAMING LIKE I’M ELVIS, BUT I JUST WANT TO DESIGN HOTELS AND NAIL IT”
Lesson: Kanye is a rich, successful, acclaimed musician, but he still wants to branch out into other fields like interior design. He’s staying hungry!
10. “MY CHILDLIKE CREATIVITY, PURITY, AND HONESTY IS HONESTLY BEING CROWDED BY THESE GROWN THOUGHTS”
Lesson: Kanye wears his heart on his sleeve and has never abandoned the passion of his youth. You should too!
11. “ON THE BATHROOM WALL I WROTE ‘I’D RATHER ARGUE WITH YOU THAN BE WITH SOMEONE ELSE’”
Song: “Blame Game”
Lesson: Love is a dangerous thing and everyone has their ups and downs. But it’s important to see the forest from the trees when you’re in the middle of an argument.
12. “REAL FRIENDS, HOW MANY OF US? HOW MANY JEALOUS?”
Song: “Real Friends”
Lesson: Whether you’re famous like Kanye or just an ordinary person like me, there’s going to be people in your life who are taking advantage of you. Make sure to sniff that out!