Below are 10 things you should never do on an empty stomach:
1. Do not take medicines (drugs): You should normally not have medicines on an empty stomach, especially when they are anti-inflammatory. Well, unless your prescription says you are to take in on an empty stomach. Therefore, consult your doctor to find out if there are any prior food recommendations.
2. Do not take alcohol: Drinking alcohol on an empty stomach will hit you harder because the rate of alcohol absorption in your body will be high. It will affect your heart, liver as well as kidney. So before you celebrate make sure your stomach is at least half filled.
3. Do not take a decision: Taking a decision on empty stomach may alter your performance and may leave you feeling regretful later on.
4. Do not drink coffee: Drinking coffee on an empty stomach is not advisable. It is better to make sure there’s something in your stomach before having your much needed first cup of coffee. Drinking coffee on an empty stomach can lead to acid reflux.
5. Do not chew gum: Chewing gum often over a long period of time on an empty stomach can lead to inflammation or gastritis in the stomach. Never chew gum for more than 10-15 minutes. Chewing gum on an empty stomach can have a negative effect on your digestion. Research has shown that people who chew gum will go for an unhealthy snack much quicker than people who don’t.
6. Do not sleep: This one doesn’t happen to us very often, but it turns out that sleeping on an empty stomach is not a good idea. You’ll have more trouble falling asleep, wake up earlier than usual and you also can’t get into a deep sleep, which means you’ll run a higher risk of sleep deprivation. Your body has to compensate for this lack of sleep with a higher energy intake, which means you’ll crave more food during the day.
7. Do not drink fresh juice: Your stomach has trouble processing the acids and fibers in a glass of fresh juice when there isn’t something lining its bottom already. If you drink juice on an empty stomach on a regular basis, this can even lead to gastritis. Really want a glass of fresh juice anyway? Then it’s best to dilute it with some water.
8. Avoid intense workout: We have this imaginary saying in our minds that it’s great to exercise on an empty stomach and that it might actually help you burn more fat which may be true on some level but I assure you that this is quite unhealthy. It’s better to at least fill your system with nuts or water before you hit the gym. And as for intense workouts, it is a must to fuel your body with sufficient food. Working out on an empty stomach can result in a loss of muscle. When your workout is intense, and your body has no enough glycogen to fuel, your muscles start burning instead of the fat. So start giving your body some fuel to burn.
9. Do not negotiate: If you are functioning low in fuel, you will not be able to do negotiations in the best way possible.
10. Avoid too much spicy food: Yes, spicy food is so good to taste but then it’s too much for your stomach to handle. Your stomach is a delicate part, and spicy food can hurt it. So you need to balance it by mixing it with less spicy or regular food, so it is well balanced for your stomach to digest. Tasty food on an empty stomach can cause heart burn and may even upset your system. So always remember to keep it well balanced.
Health is wealth. Therefore, it is very important to consult a healthcare professional for all your healthcare needs.