Good evening from Meziesblog! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. A former governor of Ekiti State, Ayo Fayose, on Sunday, disclosed that he has no regret working ‘one hundred percent’ against the presidential ambition of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, candidate, Atiku Abubakar, in the build-up to the February 25 election. While defending his action, Fayose stated that he was not afraid of being kicked out of the party for anti-party activities.
2. The Deputy Director General, Edo State Peoples Democratic Party Campaign Council for the re-election of Governor Godwin Obaseki in 2020, Engr. Gideon Ikhine has dumped the party for the All Progressives Congress. This was contained in a letter of resignation addressed to the chairman, PDP Ward 7 (Ukpenu/ Ujolen/ Emuhi) Ekpoma, Esan West Local Government area.
3. The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Kwara State, has denied rumours that it is planning to suspend former Senate President, Bukola Saraki. The party stated this in a communique signed by the state chairman, Babatunde Mohammed and the state Secretary, Abdulrazaq Lawal.
4. President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Sunday emerged Chairman of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). He emerged chairman at the 63rd Ordinary Session of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government in Bissau, capital of the Republic of Guinea-Bissau.
5. Anambra State Governor, Chukwuma Soludo has directed that Mmesomma Joy Ejikeme, the female pupil who falsified her Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) be handed over to the State’s Guidance Counselor. The governor said the directive followed one of the recommendations of the panel constituted to investigate the matter.
6. Mrs Betty Akeredolu, wife of Ondo Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, has announced the suspension of activities lined up for her forthcoming 70th birthday celebration. This is coming after some critics questioned the celebration plans amid the ill health of her husband.
7. The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has lamented that in just 40 days of President Bola Tinubu’s administration, poverty has deepened in the country with inflation skyrocketing and making innocent Nigerians susceptible to manipulation. It also warned supporters of Tinubu and the All Progressives Congress, APC, against disrupting proceedings at the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal (PEPT).
8. For failing to provide details of the projects executed or being executed with the $5 billion returned Abacha loot, a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, weekend, ordered the administrations of former Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo, late Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari to account for the funds. The court also ordered the government of President Bola Tinubu to disclose the exact amount of money stolen by the former Head of State, late General Sani Abacha, and the total amount of Abacha loot recovered.
9. Dr Dipo Fasina, former National President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, who went missing on July 1 this year in Istanbul, Turkey, has been found. He was travelling to Algiers in Algeria via Istanbul in Turkey, when he got missing.
10. The decomposing corpse of an Abuja-based construction engineer, Humphrey Nnaji, has been evacuated from his apartment in the Dawaki area of the Federal Capital Territory. It was gathered that the engineer was at home when some suspects gained entry into the premises, killed him and fled.