Good evening from Meziesblog! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Court of Appeal in Abuja on Friday dismissed an appeal brought before it by Senator Smart Adeyemi, seeking to nullify the governorship primary election of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kogi State, which produced Ahmed Usman Ododo as the party’s flagbearer for the November 11 poll. The appellate court held that the appeal argued by Adekunle Oladapo Otitoju on behalf of Senator Adeyemi was completely bereft of merit.
2. The Nigeria LNG Ltd. (NLNG) says the operation at its plant on Bonny Island is ongoing, despite a Force Majeure that is still in effect. Its General Manager, External Relations and Sustainable Development, Mr Andy Odeh, disclosed this in a statement on Friday.
3. Some traders at the Ogunpa Labaowo market in Agbokojo, Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, are currently counting their losses as a result of a fire outbreak that ravaged parts of the market on Friday. Goods worth millions of naira were destroyed by the inferno, which started in the early hours of Friday, MEZIESBLOG learnt.
4. The Akwa Ibom State government has described as a “beer parlour” conversation the allegations that the immediate past governor of the State, Udom Emmanuel is still in possession of the governor’s official jet. The Senior Special Adviser to Governor Umo Eno on Research and Documentation, Mr Ndueso Ekwere, speaking during a radio program in Uyo on Friday, said the governor boarded the commercial aircraft to have firsthand experience with the state’s airline to guide his decision making.
5. Former Minister of Education, Obiageli Ezekwesili has claimed that the controversial “All Eyes on the Judiciary” advert is one of the best things that has happened to the nation’s third arm of government. She is of the view that the judiciary always needed citizens to demand transparency and accountability for their huge constitutional responsibility.
6. A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, Femi Falana has said the Central Bank of Nigeria’s decision to float the Naira at the foreign exchange market was illegal. Falana disclosed this on Friday during a Channels Television interview monitored by MEZIESBLOG.
7. Anambra State Governor, Chukwuma Soludo, has denied claims that his administration has totally abandoned people living with disabilities. Reacting to the claims, Soludo, in a statement signed by his press secretary, Mr Christian Aburime, said the claims were all false.
8. The Election Petition Tribunal sitting at the National Judicial Institute, NJI Abuja, has reserved judgement for a later date in a petition filed by the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, in Ebonyi State, Benard Ifeanyi Odoh who is challenging the victory of Governor Francis Nwifuru in the March 18, 2023 governorship election.
9. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has released a series of operational changes to Bureau De Change operations amid the forex crisis. The apex bank disclosed this on Friday in a newly outlined measures to curtail BDCs operations in Nigeria and boost efficiency.
10. Catholic Bishops of Ibadan Ecclesiastical Province have called on President Bola Tinubu to avoid involving Nigerians in the armed conflict in Niger Republic. This was contained in a communiqué issued at the end of the two-day meeting of the Catholic Bishops of Ibadan Ecclesiastical Province held in Ado-Ekiti and signed by the President, Most Rev. Gabriel Abegunrin and the Secretary, Most Rev. John Oyejola.