Spanish midfielder Rodri has officially said goodbye to Manchester City after seven trophy-laden years, completing a £65 million move back to his homeland to join Barcelona.
The 2024 Ballon d’Or winner was greeted by cameras as he arrived at Barcelona’s airport and spoke publicly for the first time as a Barça player.
Facing the press, Rodri did not hide his excitement. “I’m fulfilling a dream,” he said. He then made a bold promise to his new club’s fans: “Let’s go and win the Champions League, win everything.”
Rodri’s trophy cabinet is nothing short of glittering—beyond the Ballon d’Or, he also lifted the World Cup earlier this year with Spain, defeating Argentina 1-0 in the final thanks to a Ferran Torres extra-time winner. During his time at City, he won four Premier League titles, two FA Cups, and three League Cups, and famously scored the winning goal in the 2023 Champions League final to deliver City’s first-ever European crown and complete a historic treble.
Meanwhile, Manchester City have moved quickly to reinforce their midfield. The club signed England midfielder Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest for a British-record transfer fee, following his impressive World Cup campaign. City are also in talks with Lille over 18-year-old sensation Ayyoub Bouaddi, the Moroccan teenager who caught the eye at this summer’s Copa América. The club remain interested in Chelsea’s Enzo Fernández, but Chelsea slapped a £120 million price tag on the Argentine and set a Friday 5 p.m. deadline for all offers—which passed with no bid submitted.

Leave a Reply