Nick Cannon has revealed to fans, friends and well wishers that he will be spending this Christmas on a hospital bed. He has joined the long list of Hollywood stars who are battling lupus, an auto immune disease that can damage any part of the body.
Image: Nick Cannon
Mariah Carey‘s ex-husband has been open about his struggles with the disease which, according to Lupus.Org, “is not contagious, not even through sexual contact. You cannot “catch” lupus from someone or “give” lupus to someone.”
According to a report from Web MD, Nick has been a warrior in the fight against lupus. Some mornings, he struggles to get up from bed. On a very bad morning, the “Chi-raq” actor takes up to 30 minutes before staring his day.
“It’s difficult to diagnose lupus because most primary care physicians don’t see it very often, so it’s not high on their radar,” says Gilkeson, who chairs the Lupus Foundation of America’s Medical-Scientific Advisory Council.
“Common symptoms such as fatigue, joint pain, and skin rashes could be due to a variety of causes.”
Nick, 36, shared a picture on Instagram and captioned it with a hearty letter which reads:
“For all who have been trying to contact me the last few days this is where I’ve been. And I will be in the Hospital through Christmas.
“All good though, Doctors say I will be back to normal before the New Year.
The actor-comedian was diagnosed of lupus in 2012 after experiencing some symptoms which included kidney malfunction.
“I don’t necessarily look sick, but there are times when I wake up and I can’t move,” the father-of-twins told Web MD. “It’s a tough disease.
“No one understood it, I think, because of how confusing lupus is and how long it takes to diagnose someone with it,” Cannon recalls.
“The doctors were quite nervous and scared. There was a lot of whispering going on around me. I’m like, ‘Hey, I’m a full-grown man, you’ve got to talk to me about this. What’s going on?'”
A July report from ABC News quoted Nick as saying that he was feeling “good.”
In his words: “It’s probably better now than it’s ever really been just because I have to pay attention to it.”
We wish you a Merry Christmas, Nick!
- evon65Stay strong. That’s a tough one for the holidays. Prayers are with you for strength and healing. Merry Christmas. E!
- hunnybunny626many blessings Nick! Wishing you a speedy recovery! stay strong! 💖
- senorita_helodofloresbbYou are a warrior and you can fight this, love Nicki
- dam0508Feel better nick
- angelspeaksproudlyPraying for you. 🙏🏽
- nieceepooh526Get well soon.
- sexxycop96Praying for you Nick 🙏🏾🙏🏾
- gbrainzHope you’re feeling better soon. Happy Holidays🎄😘🙏🏼
- ma_perryFeel better soon little bro, sorry to hear, hang in there, May God grant you a speedy recovery
- mafrancoisI know what your saying…living with lupus….ever think of becoming the face for this horrible disease.If you do I want to be involved you the star, me the everyday mom
- bangsi1983May the god of our forefathers shower you with quick recovery and Merry 🎁Christmas to you and your 👪family 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
- mafrancoisStay all the way up Nick!!@
- stevosupasupremoMerry Christmas n God bless ya bro…And wish you a happy new year
- just__juneStay strong Nick
- figuresk8r34Get better Nick merry christmas!!!!! Your in good hands get better Christmas can wait.
- yah_rightandproper#IHateLupus Feel better soon @nickcannon ✋💜😚
Nick Cannon and ex-wife Mariah Carey