Tensions remain high across the wider Middle East region, with further reports of violence in neighbouring countries.
For the second time since the weekend, the Israel Defence Forces has claimed it has sent a helicopter and tanks to attack Hezbollah targets.
“A short while ago, an IDF fighter jet and tanks struck a Hezbollah launch post with weapons and terrorist infrastructure,” an update read.
It did not say whether the vehicles ventured into Lebanese territory – where Hezbollah is based – but over the weekend tanks did cross the border.
The IDF also said it had carried out a number of strikes on Lebanese territory earlier today in response to Hezbollah strikes.
It similarly conducted what it said were retaliatory strikes in Syria, after it detected three launches from there.
For context: Lebanon-based Hezbollah and Israel have continually traded fire across their border since the early days of the war.
Hezbollah, which means “Party of God” in Arabic, openly calls for the destruction of the “Zionist regime in Palestine” and is deemed a terror organisation by most Western powers.
The militia has long aligned itself with Hamas and Islamic Jihad and is backed by Iran.
Israel has struck hundreds of targets in Syria over recent years in an effort to prevent Hezbollah and Iranian military influence settling in the country, although the IDF rarely comments on such incidents.
Syrian state media reported similar strikes near Damascus on Thursday and Sunday, which was not acknowledged by the IDF, and in previous weeks since 7 October.
19 dead in absentia among 135 hostages still in Gaza, Israel says
Israel has said that 135 hostages are still being held captive inside Gaza by Hamas.
Of those, 19 have been declared dead in absentia, according to officials.
The bodies of two hostages who had died in captivity were recovered by the Israel Defence Forces earlier today (see 4.50pm post).
The list of the dead hostages still kept in Gaza includes a Tanzanian national, the government press office said, not naming them.
Tanzania previously said that two of its citizens were among the 240 people taken hostage by Hamas on 7 October.

Leave a Reply