Explained: How many UN peacekeepers have been injured in Lebanon so far?

The past week has seen mounting pressure grow between Israel and the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

Israel’s military is currently on the ground in southern Lebanon in what it has described as “limited, localised and targeted” raids against Iran-backed Hezbollah.

Fighting in the area has led to clashes with UNIFIL, who since 1978 have been tasked with maintaining calm and reducing tensions along the “blue line” dividing Lebanon from Israel and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Explaned: What is UNIFIL?

At least five UNIFIL personnel have been injured by suspected or confirmed Israeli attacks on the international peacekeeping force in the last week.

10 October

Last Thursday, two Indonesian peacekeepers were injured after falling from an observation tower at UNIFIL headquarters in the southern Lebanese city of Naqoura after Israeli tanks fired towards it. 

11 October

Last Friday, the Israeli military acknowledged its troops were responsible for an incident in Naqoura in which two Sri Lankan soldiers were wounded after being shot at. 

The Israeli military said its soldiers identified a threat and responded with fire, and that the intended target was located 50 metres away.

Sri Lanka’s foreign ministry “strongly condemned” the attack.

12 October

Another peacekeeper was “hit by gunfire due to ongoing military activity” in the city of Naqoura last Saturday, UNIFIL said. It noted that the origin of the fire was unknown. 

The man underwent surgery to remove the bullet, it said.

13 October

In the latest incident, UNIFIL said Israeli tanks “forcibly entered” their position in Ramyah, southern Lebanon, requesting the base “turn out its lights”.

Around 45 minutes later, the tanks left after UNIFIL “protested” and told the Israeli soldiers they were putting staff in danger. 

Just over two hours later, UNIFIL said several rounds were fired, emitting smoke near the base, causing 15 peacekeepers to suffer from skin irritation and “gastrointestinal reactions”. 

In response, the IDF said its tank was trying to evacuate injured soldiers while under fire and backed “several metres into a UNIFIL post”.

It said a smoke screen was used to provide cover for the evacuation of its soldiers and that “throughout the entirety of the incident, no danger was posed to UNIFIL forces by the IDF activity”.

What has Israel said?

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has urged peacekeepers to evacuate from Lebanon’s “danger zone”.

In a direct appeal to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Benjamin Netanyahu said: “Your refusal to evacuate the UNIFIL soldiers makes them hostages of Hezbollah.”

“Mr Secretary-General, get the UNIFIL forces out of harm’s way. It should be done right now, immediately.” 

What has UNIFIL said?

Following UNIFIL’s clash with the IDF on 13 October, the peacekeeping mission said it wanted to “remind the IDF and all actors of their obligations to ensure the safety and security of UN personnel and property and to respect the inviolability of UN premises at all times”.

“Breaching and entering a UN position is a further flagrant violation of international law and Resolution 1701,” it added.

“Any deliberate attack on peacekeepers is a grave violation of international humanitarian law and Resolution 1701.” 

What has the rest of the world said?

At least 40 nations signed a letter “strongly” condemning attacks on UNIFIL peacekeepers. 

The joint statement, co-signed by the UK, said attacks “must stop immediately”.

US defence secretary Lloyd Austin said he had expressed “deep concern” to his Israeli counterpart Yoav Gallant over the incidents.


Discover more from MEZIESBLOG

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.


Leave a Reply

Discover more from MEZIESBLOG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from MEZIESBLOG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading