Andrea Constand, the victim of sexual abuse who first exposed Bill Cosby’s sexual misconducts with women, says she is excited with her contribution towards saving others from eternal pain.
Constand, who alleged that Cosby drugged and assaulted her, said she has forgiven the man, however, refusing to take credit for his conviction. In her first public appearance on Friday she told NBC News’ Kate Snow, “I did it for justice.”
Image: Andrea Constand
Constand continued, “…I also did it because of what was happening at the time. Many women came out into the public, into the media in droves, explaining how they’ve been drugged and sexually assaulted.”
The 45-year-old woman who currently works as a basketball administrator at Temple University said Cosby tainted her drink with three blue pills he referred to as “your friends,” adding that the accused person then inserted fingers in her vagina while she lay almost unconscious and without strength to say yes or no.
Cosby, who claims the sexual encounter was consensual, argued that he only offered her Benadryl to relax. The medicine is for cold and allergic reactions.
The convicted rapist maintained his innocence until the jury found him guilty of three counts in last year’s retrial. His lawyer called Constand a “con artist” at the trials in April, alleging that her “false” accusation aimed at extorting a huge civil settlement from his client. The claimant had sued Cosby in late 2000s but prosecutors handling the case declined to file charges, instead, opting to settle with him for about $3.4 million, CBS News confirmed.
Constand admitted her reason for backing out of the case was a conviction that no one would believe her.
“I thought I was the only person that went through this horrible sexual abuse incident,” she said.
“Now I feel overwhelmed with emotions…It doesn’t feel like justice eventually prevailed,” another Cosby accuser, Lili Bernard also told the news outlet after the unrepentant rapist got his sentence.
Cosby stands convicted for drugging and assaulting Constant and has been on house arrest pending final verdict from the jury. The sentencing comes up in September 2018. Meanwhile, there are speculations that the 80-year-old will bag up to 15 years behind bars.
Over 60 women made claims that they were sexually abused by Cosby in a period of 50 years, a circumstance which prompted Constand’s assertion that the accused celebrity is “sick”.
Her words, “This man needs help…He needs Christ in his life, not just for what he did to me and the women…Although he is a convicted sex assaulter, I have forgiven him for the traumatic experience.”