The Star Awards (Chinese: 红星大奖) is an annual ceremony held by Mediacorp, a Singapore-based media organisation which recognizes entertainers under their payroll for outstanding performances throughout the year.
Image shows famous actress Fan Bingbing In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture
In comparison to other entertainment ceremonies in this category, the Star Awards also celebrates individual entertainers’s popularity. The outcomes depend on how much fans are willing to collectively spend through a voting system that elevates their popularity.
The inaugural Star Awards event was held in 1994 and in its first three years, MediaCorp handed out only 10 Most Popular Artistes awards (five for each gender) instead of the current 20 (10 for each gender).
Here’s a list of this year’s winners:
1. Young Talent Award: Isabel Yamada
2. Best Newcomer Award: Chantalle Ng
3. Best Theme Song: 以刚克刚 from When Duty Calls
4. Evergreen Award: Chen Shucheng
5. Best Supporting Actress: Kym Ng
6. Best Supporting Actor: Chen Hanwei
7. Best Variety Programme: Ah Ma Can Cook
8. Best Info-ed Programme: Little Maestros
9. Best Programme Host (Variety, Info-Ed & Infotainment): Quan Yifong
10. Best Actress: Rebecca Lim
11. Best Actor: Desmond Tan
12. Best Drama Serial: When Duty Calls
13. Special Achievement Award: Marcus Chin
14. Top 10 Most Popular Female Artistes:
Pan Ling Ling
Jin Yin Ji
15. Top 10 Most Popular Male Artistes:
16. Bioskin Most Charismatic Artiste Award: Elvin Ng