Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Budget Office of the Federation, Wednesday, said Nigeria now has a “limited borrowing space” due to its poor debt-to-revenue ratio, stressing that “trouble” looms for the country if it exceeds its limits. The Director-General of the Budget Office, Ben Akabueze said this while addressing members-elect of the 10th National Assembly.
2. The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited needs to roll out massive investments in terms of oil and gas to meet the demand for these commodities, Africa’s richest man and Chairman, Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has said. He said the national oil firm should invest more because there were many off-takers waiting to off-take the products from the company.
3. A former Minister of Power, Sale Mamman has been arrested and detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, in connection with an alleged N22bn fraud. Sources familiar with the matter said Mamman, who was a minister under President Muhammadu Buhari, from 2019 to 2021, was arrested and detained at the EFCC Headquarters in Abuja on Wednesday.
4. The Federal Government, late Tuesday and early Wednesday, brought home 254 more Nigerians fleeing the insurrection in Sudan. The 254 evacuees landed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja, according to the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission.
5. Four suspects have been arrested for allegedly shooting a herder, Umaru Aliu, to death and dismembering his body in Ijagure village along Sagada, the Imeko-Afon Local Government area of Ogun State. The state Amotekun Corps Commander, David Akinremi, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.
6. The Nigerian Air Force on Wednesday said it has commenced an investigation to unravel the immediate and remote causes of the fire that broke out at its facility in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Head of Operations, Federal Fire Fighters, FFF FCT, Amiola Adebayo, had said firefighters worked hard to completely put out the fire.
7. The Governor of Ondo State and Chairman South-West Governors’ Forum has condemned in its entirety the All Progressives Congress zoning formula proposed by the party’s leadership for the 10th National Assembly. In a statement, he described the zoning as an “insidious permutation, disservice” aimed at witch-hunting the hard-earned Presidency of Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
8. Ayodele Joseph, Chief Medical Director of Ayodele Hospital, Ilorin, Kwara State, has been accused of raping a patient who came for medical treatment. The suspect was arraigned on a two-count charge of act of gross indecency, and rape contrary to sections 285 and 283 of the penal code.
9. President-elect Bola Tinubu on Wednesday departed Nigeria for Europe, Tunde Rahman, Tinubu’s media aide, revealed. In a statement on Wednesday, Rahman said the incoming president left Abuja on Wednesday afternoon with some of his key aides.
10. President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday asked the Senate to approve a new borrowing request of $800 million.
Buhari made the request in a letter read by Senate President Ahmad Lawan at Tuesday’s plenary.