Good afternoon from Meziesblog! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo State has named Lady Chinyere Ihuoma Ekomaro as his running mate for the November governorship election. Uzodinma, who is the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate in the election, unveiled his running mate in Owerri, the State capital, on Saturday.
2. Niger President, Mohamed Bazoum who has been detained since being ousted by members of his guard last month was seen by his doctor Saturday, his entourage said, amid mounting concern. Fears have been mounting over the health and detention conditions of democratically elected Bazoum, his wife and 20-year-old son since the military seized power and took them captive on July 26.
3. The Military High Command on Saturday said there are plots from different quarters to instigate members of Armed Forces of Nigeria to overthrow President Bola Tinubu. It, however, said the attempt will fail, insisting that the military is happy and better under democracy, and as such will not get involved in any act to sabotage the hard-earned democracy of Nigeria.
4. Death toll from the Zaria Central Mosque, which collapsed on Friday, rose to 12 yesterday. The new development followed the death of some of the injured victims who were earlier rescued from the site. The victims were observing the Asr (evening prayer) when the building collapsed at about 4 pm.
5. The Anambra elders forum of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has appealed to President Bola Tinubu to increase the number of ministerial slots for the South East. The elders, while briefing reporters on Saturday in Awka, asked Mr President to remember the sacrifices some of the party members made during the struggle to make the party solid in the zone.
6. The Nigeria Police Force has arrested the national president of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, NURTW, Tajudeen Ibikunle Baruwa. Baruwa was arrested at the NURTW national secretariat in Abuja alongside three other officials of the union.
7. President Bola Tinubu on Saturday said his administration would make adequate provision for the enhancement of the operational capability of security and law enforcement agencies and improved welfare of personnel in its renewed drive to address security and related concerns across the country.
8. A grandfather identified as Monday Chukwuka has been arrested by the Oyo State Police Command for allegedly selling his one-day-old grandchild for N700,000. The Command, in a statement signed by the State Police Public Relations Officer, Adewale Osifeso, said the suspect was arrested at his hideout in the Ibafo area of Ogun State following credible intelligence.
9. The Indigenous People of Biafra has begun the distribution of flyers and posters across the South-East to notify residents of the cancellation of sit-at-home exercise in the region. In a statement on Saturday, the spokesman for the group, Emma Powerful, said, any person or persons talking about a non-existent sit-at-home in the region is an enemy of the people and shall be dealt with accordingly.
10. Former unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has delivered a seventh-round knockout of Robert Helenius in their heavyweight affair making it his first KO win since he defeated Kubrat Puliev on December 12, 2020.