See why Trump raised tariffs of aluminium and steel

We brought you reports last night on Donald Trump’s decision to raise tariffs on aluminium and steel imports into the US.

Here is what we know this morning…

The US president substantially raised tariffs on steel and aluminium imports to a flat 25% “without exceptions or exemptions” in a move he hopes will aid the struggling industries in the US.

But this also risks sparking a multi-front trade war.

A White House official confirmed the measures would take effect on 4 March.

The tariffs will apply to millions of tons of steel and aluminium imports from Canada, Brazil, Mexico, South Korea and other countries that had been entering the US duty free under the carve-outs.

The proclamations are extensions of Trump’s 2018 Section 232 tariffs to protect domestic steel and aluminium makers on national security grounds. 

And Trump’s trade adviser Peter Navarro told reporters: “The steel and aluminium tariffs 2.0 will put an end to foreign dumping, boost domestic production and secure our steel and aluminium industries as the backbone and pillar industries of America’s economic and national security.”

Asked about threats of retaliation by other countries against his new tariffs, Trump said: “I don’t mind.”

If you’re just checking in, here is a recap of the key developments over the course of the day.

  • Trump said the Israel-Hamas ceasefire should be cancelled if the remaining hostages in Gaza aren’t returned by midday on Saturday; 
  • US president signed two proclamations imposing 25% tariffs on all steel and aluminium imports to the US. They are due to come into effect in March;
  • Trump told Fox News he has spoken to Chinese president Xi Jinping and “his people” since he returned to the White House;
  • China’s retaliatory tariffs came into force, amounting to a 15% levy on US coal and liquefied natural gas, and 10% on crude oil, farm equipment and some vehicles;
  • Trump said he was “committed” to “buying and owning” Gaza, displacing its residents and denying them the right to return;
  • A USAID watchdog said the US lost ability to stop $8bn in aid falling into wrong hands after Trump’s cuts;
  • The head of a US government agency dedicated to protecting whistleblowers sued Trump over his dismissal;
  • A third federal judge blocked Trump’s executive order ending birthright citizenship for the children of those in the US illegally.

Discover more from MEZIESBLOG

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from MEZIESBLOG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from MEZIESBLOG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading