Man City apologize for Robin Olsen’s assault at Etihad Stadium

Manchester City have apologised to Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen after he was assaulted by fans following the game on Sunday afternoon.

Olsen was attacked by City fans after thousands of them had ran onto the pitch once the final whistle blew.

City’s official statement on the matter reads: “Manchester City would like to sincerely apologise to Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen, who was assaulted after the final whistle at today’s match when fans entered the pitch.

“The Club has launched an immediate investigation and once identified, the individual responsible will be issued with an indefinite stadium ban.”

Man City won the Premier League title in dramatic circumstances on the final day of the season on Sunday. Having been two goals behind heading into the final 15 minutes of the game, the Citizens scored three quickfire goals to seal yet another league triumph.


The title is Pep Guardiola’s fourth as Man City manager, and the club’s second in consecutive seasons.

City retained their Premier League crown with a remarkable 3-2 win over Aston Villa.

Pep Guardiola’s men looked dead and buried with goals either side of half-time from Matty Cash and Philippe Coutinho looking set to deny City and Pep Guardiola.

But three goals in five amazing minutes handed City the title.

Second half substitute Ilkay Gundogan headed home the first on 76 minutes before Rodri levelled just moments later.

Then with less than ten minutes left Gundogan poked the ball home from close-range after some wonderful work from Kevin De Bruyne.

City’s performance did not warrant the win, but nobody at the Etihad will remember the insipid performance for more than 75 minutes of the game as they made sure that Liverpool would not win a quadruple.

City did not start the game well at all, although they almost bagged a goal from nothing on ten minutes as Gabriel Jesus charged down Robin Olsen’s clearance, but fortunately for the Swede it flew wide.

Phil Foden and Riyad Mahrez then both saw chances fly wide, but Villa were steady throughout with former City man Douglas Luiz impressing in midfield.

Indeed Villa were giving as good as they got and it was barely a shock when they took the lead less than 10 minutes before the break with an excellent move. Jacob Ramsey broke into the City half before feeding Lucas Digne on the left side of the area, put in a brilliant ball for Cash to head home from close-range.

As expected changes were made at the break as Fernandinho was brought off in his final game with Oleksandr Zinchenko coming on, meaning Joao Cancelo moved to the right.

Both full-backs had impacts early on in the second period, creating chances for De Bruyne and Jesus, but neither could find the target. City’s last change saw Ilkay Gundogan come on for Bernardo Silva, but before the German could touch the ball Villa made it 2-0.

A long ball from Olsen was flicked on by Watkins to Coutinho, who then turned in the box and fired home past Ederson.

City were shell-shocked, but from almost nowhere the game turned in five miraculous minutes.

The aforementioned Gundogan’s first touch of note was a brilliant header from fell sub Raheem Sterling’s cross to the back post on 76 minutes.

Just two minutes later the game was level as Zinchenko pulled the ball back to Rodri on the edge of the box to side foot home.

The Etihad was now rocking as much as Villa’s backline and in the 81st minute, the all important third goal arrived. De Bruyne picked up the ball in the area, danced to the six yard box and fired across goal for Gundogan to score from close range.

Villa were stunned and has given it everything, but City were not to be denied as Pep Guardiola claimed a fourth Premier League crown.