The Federal High Court in Abuja has refused to entertain any further charge against the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, pending the Supreme Court’s ruling on his bail.
Justice Binta Nyako said the court lacks the jurisdiction to entertain any further charge against Kanu, in view of the judgment of the Court of Appeal which was in favour of Kanu.
This was stated in a statement made available to SaharaReporters on Monday by IPOB’s lead counsel, Sir Ifeanyi Ejiofor, Esq. He noted that the court ruled that it lacked jurisdiction to continue to sit on Kanu’s case because of its earlier judgement on his bail.
The statement reads: “The Court per His lordship Hon. Justice Binta Nyako is in agreement with us that it lacks the jurisdiction to entertain any further charge against Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, in view of the landmark judgment of the Court of Appeal.
“The matter was consequently adjourned sine die pending the outcome of the appeal at the Supreme Court.
“We are winning! Supreme Court here we come!
“No going back on ONYENDU’s freedom.
“Our appeal to set aside the order staying the execution of Onyendu’s judgment will be fixed for hearing any moment from now.”
MEZIESBLOG had reported how the Appeal Court ruled in October that the rendition of Kanu from Kenya was illegal and therefore ordered that he should be discharged and acquitted. The court was ruling in the appeal filed by Kanu, challenging the criminal charges against him.
Kanu had been re-arraigned before a Federal High Court on amended 15 counts bordering on treasonable felony preferred against him by the Nigerian government.
However, on April 8, Justice Binta Nyako struck out eight of the 15 counts.
While ruling on the preliminary objection seeking to quash the charges, the judge said counts 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14 had not disclosed any offence against the defendant (Kanu).
The charges that were struck out below are as follows: “Count 6: Made broadcasts to attack officers of the Nigeria Police Force; Count 7: Made broadcasts in which he incited members of the public to hunt and attack officers of the Nigeria Police Force.
“Court 8: Made broadcasts in which he directed members of the IPOB to manufacture bombs; Court 9: Made broadcasts on diverse dates in furtherance of terrorism against the Nigeria state and with intent to destabilise the fundamental political and economic structures of Nigeria, incited members of the public to stop the Anambra governorship election.
“Count 10: Incited members of the public to destroy public facilities. Count 11: Threatened members of the public not to come out on 31st May, 2021. Count 12: Made broadcasts with the intention to incite members of the public to stage a violent revolution in furtherance of acts of terrorism. Count 14: Directed members of the public to destroy the public transport system in Lagos, resulting in major economic loss to the governor.”
Nyako had said that counts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, and 15 showed some allegations, which the defendant had to answer.
However, Kanu through his team of lawyers led by Mike Ozekhome (SAN), filed an appeal marked CA/ABJ/CR/625/2022, praying the court to quash the remaining seven counts for being devoid of merit.
The appeal equally prayed the court to order his release on bail, pending the determination of his appeal.
You must log in to post a comment.