14-year-old girl threatened to cover rape or die with family members

A 14-year-old girl kept her sexual assault a secret and spent the entire day at school because she feared her assailant would come to her house and kill her family, prosecutors said.

Marquise Myles, 22, on parole for gun charges, appeared before Cook County Judge John Mahoney Friday on felony charges of aggravated criminal sexual assault, aggravated robbery and kidnapping.

Myles appeared in court wearing a blue jail uniform.

Around 7:40 a.m. Monday, Sept. 9, the girl was riding the Pace bus on her way to St. Laurence High School in Burbank, when the prosecutor said she noticed a man, later identified as Myles, standing next to her. When she got off at her stop at 79th Street and Central Avenue, the prosecutor said that Myles got off with her.

According to the charges, Myles approached the girl from behind and put her in a headlock. He then forced the girl into an alley in the 7800 block of Central Avenue and threatened to shoot her if she screamed. The prosecutor said that a private security camera captured both audio and video of the assault, during which Myles forced the girl to give him her home address.

In the audio from the private security system, the prosecutor said that Myles could be heard making demands and repeatedly asking the girl if she wanted to die. When he finished assaulting her, Myles demanded the girl’s school ID, cell phone and locker key, the prosecutor said, reminding her again not to tell anyone, or he would kill her.

“Go to school like nothing happened,” Myles could be heard saying on the video

“Nothing happened,” the girl said, complying.

The prosecutor said the girl spent the entire day in school and only told her father about the sexual assault when she got home. He contacted the Burbank Police Department.

The girl was interviewed at the police station the next day, and Burbank police began gathering security video from Pace Bus and Chicago POD cameras. They also checked the area for private security cameras that may have captured evidence of the reported assault.

Police said video from Pace showed Myles standing next to the girl and following her off the bus. The private security video, police said, revealed Myles putting the girl in a headlock and forcing her into the alley. After the assault, police said cameras tracked Myles walking westbound down 79th Street and removing his neon orange sweatshirt.

Myles was captured on a Chicago POD camera boarding a CTA bus at 79th Street and Cicero Avenue, where police said he paid the fare using his own personal Ventra card. Investigators were able to identify Myles from his Ventra card, as well as with help from the public who had viewed high quality images released through the Burbank Police Department on social media, the prosecutor said.

Police apprehended Myles on Wednesday, Sept. 11, when he reported to work at PACTIV Corporation, 7701 W. 79th St., Bridgeview, where he was a temporary employee of Elite Staffing of Chicago. Myles was a packer and had only worked at PACTIV for a week but used public transportation to get to and from work, police said.

According to police, when he was arrested, Myles was wearing the same boxer shorts, pants and shirt he had worn during the assault.

The prosecutor said Myles admitted to assaulting the girl to police. He was released on parole in August 2018 from the Illinois Department of Corrections where he had been serving a three-year sentence for possession of a gun by a felon. Myles has felony convictions for reckless discharge of a weapon and aggravated use of a weapon, for which he was sentenced to prison time. He also has an adjudicated juvenile record from 2014 for a gun charge, the prosecutor said.

Several coaches and administrators from St. Laurence High School attended the hearing, as well as the girl’s father. The girl is said to be recovering at home. The high school issued a statement asking students and staff to respect her privacy.

“The facts I have heard today are an unspeakable horror,” Mahoney said. “You are a clear and present danger to the community and society.”

Myles was ordered held without bond. His family members left the courtroom crying. Myles’ next court date is Oct. 9 in Bridgeview.