Barely a week after shootings were recorded in two U.S. schools, a 12-year-old girl has been arrested on charge of negligent discharge of a firearm.
In the horrific incident which occurred at a Los Angeles middle school on Thursday, two students sustained gunshot wounds.
According to a report from NBC News, police said a 15-year-old boy was shot in the head and another girl, hit in the arm. While the second victim suffered minor wounds, the boy is in a critical condition.
Los Angeles County-University of Southern California Medical Center said both were expected to make full recoveries after the ugly classroom mishap.
In a press conference held after the shooting, Los Angeles police said Thursday night that more people were wounded: a 30-year-old woman on the staff of Salvador Castro Middle School and two other students, an 11-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl suffered superficial face and head injuries.
The shots were fired shortly before 9 a.m. (noon ET) at Castro, a location in the western part of downtown Los Angeles.
A semiautomatic handgun was recovered after the gunshots, authorities said.
The campus was declared safe following thorough police investigators which confirmed the shooting was “an isolated incident involving negligence.”
“We know this a very traumatic incident for all the children involved, particularly inside that classroom,” said Steven Zipperman, chief of the Los Angeles school system police department.
The shooter’s name was not released because she’s a juvenile.
“One of the main missions we will have is the issue of finding out how a young person had access to a weapon,” Zipperman added. “I assure you, if it came from an adult in a home, that the proper prosecutorial procedure will occur.”
Looking distraught and terribly sad, father of a 12-year-old student told NBC Los Angeles that he quickly went to the school after learning his daughter’s involvement.
He said, “You can’t process it…It’s my son and everybody else’s kids in that school.”
Last Week, a 16-year-old boy was arrested after he opened fire at a Texas high school. Although only a teenage girl sustained injuries from the shooting, another 15-year-old boy was charged with opening fire at a Kentucky high school, killing two students and wounding 18 other people.