Taliban
-
All eyes are on the conduct of the next government in Syria – whose path may depend on Hayat Tahrir al Sham, the rebel group that led the lightning assault to overthrow the Assad regime. HTS is designated a terrorist organisation in the US and grew out of a branch of al Qaeda. Its leader, Abu…
-

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards have said that 12 people have been arrested for being operatives collaborating with Israel and planning acts against Iran’s security. The Revolutionary Guards added that members of the network of 12 operatives were arrested in six different Iranian provinces, but did not say when. Tensions in the Middle East have shot up…
-
Highlighting Beijing’s growing official relations with the group, Taliban spokesman Akhundzada Abdul Salam Jawad said this week that the group will attend China’s Belt and Road Forum next week. Since taking control of Afghanistan two years ago following the withdrawal of US and other foreign forces, the Taliban has not been formally recognized by any…
-
Among thousands of Afghans flown to the United States in the chaotic evacuation from Kabul last August, some 50 have been flagged for “potentially significant security concerns.” U.S. officials have not ruled out the possibility that they could include members of the Taliban that now rules Afghanistan. A report last month by the Department of Defense‘s…
-
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has decided against disciplining any members of the United States military for an August drone attack in Kabul that killed 10 civilians, including seven children, the New York Times and several US news outlets reported on Monday. An internal Pentagon review concluded last month that the August 29 bombing in the Afghan capital did…
-
The Pentagon has offered unspecified condolence payments to the family of 10 civilians who were killed in a botched US drone attack in Afghanistan in August during the final days before American troops withdrew from the country. The US Department of Defense said it made a commitment that included offering “ex-gratia condolence payments”, in addition…
-
Announcing a record crowd at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines on Saturday night, former President Donald Trump said the Biden administration’s proposed $10 billion in aid to the Taliban should be only made on the condition it returns all of the military equipment President Joe Biden left in Afghanistan. “We want our hostages back, and then…
-
Dozens of people have been killed in a suicide bombing at a Shia mosque in Afghanistan’s northeastern city of Kunduz during Friday prayers, the country’s worst attack since the Taliban took over control in August. The Islamic State in Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K) claimed responsibility for the attack through its Telegram channels on Friday. In…
-
Google has temporarily locked down some Afghan government email accounts as the Taliban is attempting to access the former officials’ emails, Reuters reported. Google said Friday it was “taking temporary actions to secure relevant accounts,” but did not admit to a complete lockdown of the accounts. “In consultation with experts, we are continuously assessing the…
-
Earlier this week, Donald Trump insisted that the White House should “bomb the hell out of” the Taliban* if the militant group does not return US military hardware seized during their takeover of Afghanistan. Former President Donald Trump has slammed the US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan as a “humiliation” for the nation, also demanding that Joe Biden…
-
The UK has said that it is “ready” to launch strikes at the ISIS-K terror network in Afghanistan after the Pentagon revealed that there are at least 2,000 fighters of the outfit in the war-torn country. The Islamic State’s Afghanistan affiliate, dubbed Islamic State Khorasan or ISIS-K, had claimed responsibility for the deadly twin blasts…
-
The mother of a fallen Marine, Shana Chappell, whose son died in a suicide bombing attack at the Kabul International Airport, had her Instagram account deleted, only to see it reactivated on Monday night. Instagram apologized following the deletion, saying in an email that it was an “error,” according to the Washington Examiner. “We express our…
-
Addressing the nation, a defensive President Joe Biden on Tuesday called the U.S. military airlift to extract more than 120,000 Afghans, Americans and other allies to end a 20 year war an “extraordinary success,” though more than 100 Americans and thousands of Afghans looking to leave remain. Twenty-four hours after the departure of the last…
-
The United States has the capacity to evacuate the approximately 300 U.S. citizens remaining in Afghanistan who want to leave before President Joe Biden’s Tuesday deadline, senior administration officials said, as rocket fire in Kabul and another U.S. drone strike against suspected Islamic State militants underscored the grave threat in the war’s final days. “This…
-
President Joe Biden has met with the families of the 13 US soldiers who were killed in an attack at Kabul airport last week, as the remains of the fallen army personnel are returned to the United States from Afghanistan. Biden and First Lady Jill Biden attended the “dignified transfer” of the fallen soldiers at Dover Air…
-
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Sunday praised the “colossal” effort to airlift civilians from Kabul, as U.K. troops and diplomats flew home after the two-week mission, ending 20 years of British military involvement in Afghanistan. In a video message, Johnson praised the “colossal exertions” of British troops engaged in “a mission unlike anything we’ve…
You must be logged in to post a comment.