South African health minister Zweli Mkhize on Wednesday announced that the country has entered the second wave of COVID-19 infections after 6,079 COVID-19 cases were reported in the past 24 hours.
This brings the total case load in the country to 828,592.
Up to the last week, the increase was mainly in the Eastern and Western Cape in specific districts, however, the minister has said the country is experiencing infection numbers that indicate a second wave nationally.
“It is also important to highlight that four provinces, that being, Western Cape, Eastern Cape, KwaZulu Natal and Gauteng Province are the key drivers of this new wave,” he said.
Mkhize said the national government is concerned about how the country will respond to the coming festive season.