The 10 commandments in Exodus 20 have 10 aspects of love verbalised: Towards God (the 1st 4 commandments) and towards others (the last 6 commandments).
Love Towards God;
- Love is loyal and not fickle…vs 3
- Love is faithful. Faithfulness is loyalty extended….vs4-6
- Love is reverent…vs 7. If you love God, you will not allow the name of God to be used in vain.
- Love is intimate….vs 8-11
Love towards others;
- Love is respectful…vs 12.
Love is not lawless, it is not rebellious.
- Love is harmless…vs 13. Love doesn’t hurt anyone. Where there is true love, there is no injury.
- Love is pure…v 14. Adultery, immorality defiles, love seeks only purity.
- Love is unselfish…vs 15. Love doesn’t steal, love gives. It doesn’t take.
- Love is truthful..vs 16. Love doesn’t lie against her neighbour.
- Love is content…vs 17. Love is “I am so glad that you have that”.
All Jesus was saying in Mark 12, summing up the Law; LOVE.
Hence the plant St Paul in Eph 5:2… Walk in Love.
Biblical love is not an emotion. It is never defined as an emotion. It is an act of self-sacrificing giving. It is the love that doesnt exist on the basis of reciprocation. It is that humble, obedient, self-sacrificing, self-giving love. If you dont love, you are a sinner.
Biblical Love is unconditional. Eph 5:2
In order to achieve these, Put the word of God in your mind. Fill your mind with the Word of God in order to be controlled by the biblical truth.